It serves 4-6 People and it will make everyone happy!
This recipe was modified from Garden and Table
- 4 Large tomatoes
- ¼ cup of Oil
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 32 Ounces of Chicken Broth
- 1 Bag Frozen Chiles from New Mexican Connection
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- toppings: sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, chopped cilantro, avocado, etc.
- Preheat the Broiler on the oven.
- Slice tomatoes in half then place cut side down onto a baking sheet.
- Drizzle the tomatoes with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Season them with salt.
- Broil for about 5 minutes or until the skins start to get black.
- Preheat a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add remaining olive oil to the dutch oven.
- Add onions
- Cook them for about five minutes or until starting to soften.
- Add garlic and cumin, cook for another minute or two, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes and their juices to the pan.
- Pour in chicken broth and stir well.
- Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes
- In the meantime, remove skin and seeds from the chile and dice the chile
- After the mixture has simmered, then blend mixture well with a hand blender
- Stir in shredded chicken and New Mexican Connection Chiles
- Allow to simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and ladle into soup bowls.
- Add any toppings as desired. You could even put it into a Bread Bowl.